[clug] Rev Drives Anyone?

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Fri Jul 29 10:47:26 GMT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:24 pm, Andrew wrote:

> I am thinking about purchasing an Iomega "Rev" internal IDE drive
> (35GB),<snip> ($500 is cheap compared
> with the tape alternative, but I want to make sure it will work first :) ).

The price : capacity ratio seems a bit off for this. A plastic box containing
a power supply, USB 2 interface, Firewire interface and audio interface (for
optical drives) with room for a 5 1/4 inch device or full sized disc drive
costs $125. Add a 250 gig HDD for $225 and the $350 you spend will give you
around seven times the capacity for much less cash.

I'll happily debate spinning vs static media another time, but since your
purpose is unclear, I don't know what advice to offer.

If internal IDE is your preference, then why not just add a disc drive to the
iDE interface and avoid using (yet another) odd new storage method?

<puts on National Archives Hat> Yes! Excellent! Yet another piece of weird
legacy media to add to our collection!</NAA>

MC