FW: [clug] SSH attack]

Robert Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Wed Jul 27 03:43:28 GMT 2005

Seems to me that neither TCP wrappers, nor a firewall, can provide what
people really want from a proper SSH access control, namely, to limit
access by arbitrary combinations of:
  - username
  - authentication method (password, keys, pass-phrase etc.)
  - SSH version (1,2 etc.)
  - source IP address (whether or not it reverse-DNS resolves properly)
  - application to be run (in some cases)
  - number of unsuccessful attempts in past X hours

OpenSSH is open-source. Anyone up to speed on where the developers of
OpenSSH are trying to take it in regard to this sort of control?
Otherwise, why don't we have a hack-fest and fix it! I'm keen to be
involved.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.