[clug] Hoary old chestnut: Use of 'dump'

Randall Crook rcrook9190 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 25 11:24:16 GMT 2005

--

Maybe I am a little out of it, but I usually use vdump (Tru64 with advfs)
to disk then tar the dumps to tape (yes I still prefer tape. :)) on
nightly cold backups (applications shutdown). Then once each 6 month
actually do a standalone backup (single user mode).

Now this works fine for me as I am dealing with 6 syncronised application
servers and losing one for a couple of hours each night is not a major
problem.

This does however ensure I have a clean backup of the important data
files. It also allows me to do standalone backups of one server as a
reference each time I need to perform major upgrades/patches so recovery
after a stuff up is relatively straight forward.

I have always wondered if the method i use is appropriate or the most
efficient (cost as well as reasouces) for the environment.

As each server is almost identical to the others (hostname, ip and a few
minor configs the only diffs between them) I usually just image a rebuild
off an existing server, so the backups to tape are really for absolute
desastar conditions and for the warm fuzzy feeling factor.

If anyone can point me to better (at no extra cost) solutions, I would be
very happy give them.:)

--

Regards,
Randall Crook