[clug] Scrubbing non-allocated blocks on ext2

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Wed Jul 20 12:30:38 GMT 2005

At 07:55 PM 20/07/2005, you wrote:
>Isn't there a simple command or script thing where you dd zeroes into
>a new file until you fill the disk then delete the file you created.
>
>I can't tell you the exact dd command because I don't use it much.

Well, slap my forehead and call me an idiot - 'cause I certainly
did.  This'll do nicely.  You could even make a special FIFO which repeated
the patterns out of Peter Gutmann's paper and use dd if=/dev/pattern1
of=/file and so forth.  Clever.  Much neater.  Let the file system do it
itself!

Of course, if you want _deniability_ rather than just _removal_ then things
become all the more difficult...  but then I should have just used wipe in
the first place.

Have fun,

Paul

SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c)1998-2004 PJW