[clug] Scrubbing non-allocated blocks on ext2

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Wed Jul 20 06:24:12 GMT 2005

Hi all,

So far my fairly extensive researches have shown that
there's no program that will go through an ext2 filesystem
and basically remove evidence of deleted files.  AFAICS,
this would require three stages:

1) Go through the directory structure and reorganise
directories.
2) Construct a list of all blocks, and partial blocks, not
in use.
3) Scrub those blocks.

Step 1 is important because, from what I read, when you
delete a file its space is reallocated to the previous file
as room to grow into.  Or maybe not - I haven't absorbed the
entire "Design and Implementation of the Second Extended
File System" yet.  Either way, standard file system design
means that you don't immediately try to reallocate those
blocks to the next file to be written, you try and localise
reference and/or choose a chunk of free space that suits
your new file.  Deleted files still remain in the directory
but are marked.

Yes, I know about the 's' attribute for file systems, that's
supposed to force the kernel to overwrite the space with
random data, or zeroes, or smiley faces.  It doesn't work;
it hasn't since about kernel 2.2.something, when Linus found
that it caused a bit of a slowdown and didn't work in all
cases.  No-one shows any sign of trying to reimplement it.

There used to be a defragmenter for ext2, but it's out of
date as it assumes that blocks are 1K in size.  Yes, ext2
does actually suffer from fragmentation, but magic pixies
somewhere in the OS make it less of an issue.  I'll
understand how those magic pixies do their work when I've
finished reading the above document.  A defragmenter would
do a third of what I want; it would be a good starting
point.

I know about wipe, shred and similar programs that will
erase a file and overwrite it.  If I'd thought about using
them, then I would have.  It's too late now.  I know about
The Defiler's Toolkit, and it seems to sort of work except
for the fact that even the most elementary probing with
debugfs shows the files that necrofile is supposed to have
removed all trace of, and klismafile doesn't seem to work in
the way the example shows.  Maybe it's the fact that the
disk I'm testing it on is in a USB case.  It certainly seems
to be synced, anyway.

So I thought I'd call upon the wisdom of the CLUG.  Is there
something that will defragment a disk?  Is it just going to
be down to doing a dump backup, wiping the disk, and then
restoring it?  Is this, indeed, enough?  Is there a better
way?

I'm assuming that actually trying to learn how write a
program to do this will result in extreme concussion from
hitting my head against the brick wall too much.

Have fun,

Paul