[clug] Spammers on CLUG

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Tue Jul 19 09:13:02 GMT 2005

At 09:19 AM 19/07/2005, you wrote:
>By posting to a public list, you are making your email address known to
>the world.
>
>Any spammer's harvesting bot will find the mailing list archive website
>and harvest all the addresses from it.

Not quite - the addresses are slightly obfuscated (person at example.org)
and this is almost always enough to stop a address harvester.  The list
address is there, though.

What's also happened is that the spammers are using the list address as the
sender address for their spam, so we are getting the bounce-back.

Curse them all with a debilitating pox,

Paul

SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c)1998-2004 PJW