[clug] linking makefiles

David Tulloh david.tulloh at infaze.com.au
Wed Jul 13 11:24:22 GMT 2005

You can either do it in a single makefile or in multiple files.
If you are only looking at linking in a few files then I think a single
file is far simpler.

For a single makefile you just need:
file: file.o ../A/i2c.o
../A/i2c.o: ../A/i2c.c ../A/i2c.h

If you had several you wanted to link in you can use a second makefile
to nicely group the dependancies.
A/Makefile
i2c.o: i2c.c i2c.h

B/Makefile
file: file.o ../A/i2c.o
../A/%.o:
        make -C ../A $@

Both of these use implicit rules to do all the work.