[clug] Weird 500 error - script not executing?

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Sat Jul 9 04:28:28 GMT 2005

Are you using carp?  That can help.

On 2005 Jul 09 at 2:20 PM, Paul Wayper wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> To take you away from the dull drudgery of spam notices using the
> clug list address, I've got a knotty problem with Apache and Perl
> CGI.  I'm adding a couple of scripts to a website I run (use plug qw
> (www.davesweboflies.com)) but one is now not working in a very
> strange way.  I get a 500 (Internal Server Error) message whenever
> I go to the page, with the line in the error log being:
>
> [...] Premature end of script headers: subs.cgi; referer http://
> localhost/[...]/email.cgi
>
> The script is set executable by all, and I can run it and it gives
> the outputs I expect.  It's being posted to by the referer, which
> is in the same directory and runs fine.  I've put warn statements
> in the script and it doesn't seem to execute them - it's as if
> something stops the script running before it actually executes the
> script at all.  I've tried renaming the file in desperation, to no
> effect.
>
> What other ways could apache call the script that would differ from
> the command line?  What else could cause this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

Kim Holburn
Network and Security Manager, National ICT Australia Ltd.
Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 417820641  F: +61 2 6230 6121 aim://kimholburn
Email: kim.holburn at nicta.com.au  - PGP Public Key on request
callto://kholburn
Cacert Root Cert: http://www.cacert.org/cacert.crt
Aust. Spam Act: To stop receiving mail from me: reply and let me know.

Use ISO 8601 dates [YYYY-MM-DD] http://www.saqqara.demon.co.uk/
datefmt.htm
                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961