[clug] Screen capture tools

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sun Jul 3 10:39:48 GMT 2005

Michael Carden wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 06:45 pm, Michael Still wrote:
>
>>Hey all,
>>
>>I'm after a better screen capture tool for X than the Gnome desktop
>

> This one ought to work quite well.
>
> http://www.hasselblad.se/
> I'd recommend a Manfrotto tripod and a remote release.
>
> Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;-)

Awwww. And here I was only just having bought my EOS 350D. The pictures
aren't turning out right with the telephoto zoom though:
http://www.stillhq.com/events/pictures/20050622/laptop_monitor_p2p_liferea_rss-dsc_0068.jpg

> Then again, if your purpose is the ubiquitous canned demo, I might suggest
> http://www.debugmode.com/wink/
>
> Wink as a fine demo builder. It has some er.. idiosyncrasies... but it does
> work.
>
> In a broader sense though, should we have to be thinking at all about screen
> capture tools? Surely the various X-something-something people might realise
> that simple screen captures are powerful mindshare tools? We all should
> expect that <this_key> means grab this screen.

Snag-IT is a lot nicer than just grabbing the screen though. I'm writing
documentation, and I want just a window without having to fight with an
editor or whatever. If you've got a spare Windows box, I recommend
downloading Snag-IT and having a play. It's what all the tech writers I
know use, and it's really quite good.

ksnapshot has done the job for now (thanks Brad), but I do think there
is room for improvement in this sort of tool.

Cheers,
Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "The geek shall inherit