[clug] Humour: Linux viruses

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Jan 28 01:25:34 GMT 2005

Here is a summarised version for the executive-summary-challenged :)

On 27 Jan 2005, at 19:32, E wrote:
>  http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/01/25/1430222

Matt Moen tests five Windows viruses under WINE on Linux and finds that
Linux can indeed be affected by (one of the) Windows viruses. Matt
concludes that WINE has a long way to go before it is truly Windows
compatible.

My favourite quote from the comments at the end of the article:
> If we are ever to compete to Microsoft, we need native Linux worms ...
>  [though] It will be a lot easier to go BSD, so we don't have to embed
> COPYING and the source in the worm.

Various readers comment that lack of virus compatibility indicates that
Linux is definitely not ready for the desktop.

Regards
Alex Satrapa