[clug] Samba & smbd

Jsparksaa at cs.com Jsparksaa at cs.com
Wed Jan 26 07:16:46 GMT 2005

Hi,

 I am running SWAT - status and it is reporting that smbd is not running.
When I run 'ps' I can see see a smbd process and /var/run/samba/smbd does contain
the correct process ID. I try to stop and restart the process and SWAT does
not see the process running even when it is there.

 The linux computer shows in network neighborhood and I can also see the
shares, but I cannot use the shares. I am prompted to login, but none of the
logins will authenticate.

  I am setup  with "user" level security, encrypted passwords, smbusers map
linux users to Win XP and I am using smbpasswd.

  Today I installed patches to go from 3.0.2 to 3.0.9.2.1.5. I am having the
same results with the patches.

  I am running Suse 9.1 pro. I dual boot SLSE 9.1 and I am running Samba
successfully under SLES.

  I have tried "smbcontrol smbd debug 10" but I do not see any debug info.

  Thanks in advance for any help!

  Jim