[clug] sound device weirdness

Andrew Pollock me at andrew.net.au
Sun Jan 23 22:03:15 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 08:58:34AM +1100, Bob Edwards wrote:

> Is devfs fully supported in 2.6 kernels? I thought someone told me
> recently that it was being deprecated (in favour of udev or something).
> I guess I should look into this a bit more myself :-)

It's deprecated, and I read on debian-devel recently that it is slated for
removal in 2.6.11. udev works (mostly) fine as well. From a users
perspective, I never had a problem with (and quite liked) devfs, but
apparently it was implemented really badly under the bonnet. I'm personally
using udev on my laptop without any major issues. My main problem (and it's
really with both devfs and udev) is I haven't got my head around the myriad
of config files involved, so if I want to modify the permissions on a device
in a persistent manner, I have to do some more reading...

--
linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://linux.conf.au/  -  Birthplace of Tux
April 18th to 23rd   -  http://linux.conf.au/  -       LINUX