[clug] Tame Linux perl editor

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Mon Jan 17 07:52:40 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:33:27PM +1100, Michael James wrote:
> What is the best way for naive users to remotely edit perl code?

> Situation:		They are SSHed into a remote Linux box.
> Possibly:		They can invoke X apps. (See previous posting)
> Bonus points:	Syntax highlighting, IDE.

> Some possibilities:

> Vi, vim?
> 	What I use, but will send my class running screaming for the hills.

vim! vim! vim!
(not gvim, it's uuurghly! ^_^)

An extra editor is always handy to learn, and 10 minutes spent in
vimtutor will be enough to get anyone through perl editing, I reckon.
Maybe a presupplied .vimrc?

I haven't used emacs since first-year university, but I don't remember
it having anything like '%' for finding missing braces. ^_^ (Well, it
highlights but doesn't actually move the cursor, as I recall.)

Just make sure it's in an xterm or putty or something, so the arrow keys
work. Even after six years of almost exclusive vim-based text editing, I
still don't use hjkl for single cursor movements unless I'm in vi on
Solaris or something similarly whacky. Or $ or ^ for that matter. (The
joys of a laptop keyboard. The extended keys are all within an inch or
two of home.)

How about a choice? Seems easier than fighting a holy war. Especially
with perl, the philosophy ought to be "There is more than one way to
edit text." A cheat-card of useful things for editing text shouldn't
be too hard to arrange, I'd think.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.