[clug] Why a Wiki?

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Tue Jan 11 23:36:25 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 05:34:40PM +1100, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
> Martin Pool wrote:
>
> >On 11 Jan 2005, Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> >
> >> TWiki is a complex piece of software
> >
> >... so one thing to think about is whether the value of the complexity
> >outweights the (possibly) increased security exposure.
>
> Has there been much discussion about what sort of content would
> appear on a Wiki? The mailing list search tool is pretty good for
> locating past topics, whilst the information required to promote
> CLUG meetings seems to work OK via vanilla HTTP and email.
>
> To me a Wiki sounds a bit like solution in search of a problem. Viz,
> I'd be much more inclined to believe there was a need for a CLUG Wiki
> if there was a clearly idenified communication issue and a strong
> suggestion that setting up a Wiki would solve it neatly.
>
> Now setting one up "because we can" is also a good enough reason, but I'd
> like to hear a bit more about what it would hold and who it would benefit.

Take a look at http://www.wlug.org.nz/HomePage

I can recall the occassional Google search in the past coming up with a
resource on the Waikato Linux Users Group Wiki. I think there is a fair
concentration of Linux and Open Source clue in Canberra, and that isn't
really reflected in the current CLUG website. One such use of a wiki could
be to post answers to questions asked on the list, sort of like a FAQ.

Fortunately, most conversation occurs on the list, so this isn't really
needed, or a really good reason for a wiki. I agree that to a fair extent,
it may well be a solution looking for a problem...

regards

Andrew