[CLUG] ISP throttling

freegazer freegazer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 13:35:32 GMT 2005

Paul
I am a bit confused about your response. but thank you for responding.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:33:05 +1100, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
> Regarding slowdown on P2P stuff,
>
> Another score for the Linux crowd is the news that Microsoft made a patch
> to the TCP/IP driver for Windows XP SP 2 that tries to cut down on the
> chance of a machine being taken out by a packet flood or by malware on the
> machine.  Unfortunately, this works as a hard reset of the packet driver if
> more than a certain number of connections aren't resolved in a certain time
> (not sure of the exact details).  P2P programs like the many BitTorrent
> clients and so forth often do this, and thus as soon as you're running
> BitTorrent everything slows down to a crawl.  I've seen this on my
> brother's XP box.
>
> The only ways to get around it are to either download a hacked TCPIP.SYS

sorry if this is something i shoud know but does the 2.4 or 2.6 kernel
use this as a kernel  module?
> driver (oooh, that's trusting...) or set your client software to only allow
> a very small number of connection attempts simultaneously, e.g. 2.  This
> got my brother's machine back to some semblance of normality.

sorry, the but bittornado scripts only allow you to drop to 4
connections for uploading without editing the configuration scripts to
a rather large degree. this is not something i would be comfortable
doing with a program i have had this level of experince with.

> This is another factor in the ISP bandwidth throttling issue, I realise,

umm, but with other protocols only linked by their o/s?

> but I've seen comments on various P2P and BT discussion groups asking about
> this and first blaming their ISP.

Once again I have to point out i spent over a week assessing my local
system(s) for evident flaws with none found before attempting to
contact the ISP to gather more information and being told to install
windows software.

> Hope this helps,
>
> Paul

thanks i do appreciate the encouragement
> SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
> reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
> Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c)1998-2004 PJW

-
<signature block>
Rule #35
That which does not kill you has made a tactical error.
</signature>