[clug] CLUG Wiki

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Jan 11 01:42:46 GMT 2005

On 5 Jan 2005, at 23:24, Rob Weir wrote:

> I don't think it's unfair to stop/avoid using software that has been
> shown to be poorly written/designed, even if I haven't personally
> audited the alternatives.

Have you stopped using Linux because it used to have problems with its
network stack where if you sent it an oversized ping packet, the kernel
would oops? Or what about the plethora of root exploits that are
reported each month?

Have you stopped using Apache because it once come packaged with CGIs
that made your system insecure?

TWiki is a complex piece of software - while this isn't an excuse for
being lazy (show me a programmer who hasn't had a single lazy day in
their life), it's certainly an indication that you shouldn't expect to
understand the code in a single day. Once a wiki variant gains a big
enough following, you can expect that the code will be getting reviewed
more and more often.

Look for problems, and when you find them, solve them. Don't switch to
a PHP based wiki simply because you don't like the Perl one.

Would you give up on your pushbike the first time you threw the chain
or got a flat tyre?

Alex