[CLUG] ISP throttling

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Sun Jan 9 03:20:59 GMT 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 12:48:17PM +1100, freegazer wrote:
> Query for the list browsers and experts.

> Is anyone aware of widespread throttling of BitTorrent traffic (or any
> download format/protocol for that matter) in any local ISPs?

I run a local ISP, and we are getting reports from our users that
P2P speeds suck beyond the expected suckiness you get from using something
like Bittorrent (which punishes slow upload and rewards fast upload)
over an asynchronus link like ADSL.

It looks to me like our upstream provider _is_ throttling BT at least,
(as I get the same speed issues over my ADSL link which goes into the
same network) and I've not really played with any other P2P in the last
six months.

I guess I'll know in a month or so when we add an upstream link to a
different provider. ^_^

--
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

Shorter .sig for a more eco-friendly paperless office.