[clug] Linux/UNIX laptop?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Jan 4 22:46:31 GMT 2005

On 28 Dec 2004, at 00:33, blazs at netspeed.com.au wrote:

> Quoting Pearl <pearl.louis at anu.edu.au>:
>
>> do Macs run Linux programs?

Only Linux runs Linux programs. However, most/all Linux programs (eg:
All Debian software has source available, IIRC some RedHat software is
proprietary) are available as POSIX compatible source, and the
toolchains exist (on the Mac OS X Developer Tools CD/DVD) to compile
those programs on Mac OS X to run under the Unix environment.

Mac OS X comes out of the box with Apache and Perl. I run PostgreSQL on
mine (compiled from source on the Mac OS X laptop), and the Apple
Developer Tools are based on gcc.

Apple hardware in general is not 100% suitable for running Linux -
mainly due to hardware such as the Airport cards which do not have open
source drivers available. The 12" PowerBook has no PC Card slot, so the
only alternative I'd have is to attempt to reverse engineer a driver
for Linux, or get a dongle.

If you do get an Apple laptop, remember that the two models are iBook
and PowerBook - iBook has slower internals (front-side bus and memory),
but it has a plastic (ie: transparent to 2.4GHz) case. The PowerBook
has an aluminium case which is not transparent to 2.4GHz, so the range
you'll get from the same base station with a PowerBook is significantly
less than with any other laptop on the planet. I have an AirPort
Extreme with an external antenna (two wavelength dipole), and I can't
get more than about 30m away from the base station's antenna before I
lose signal entirely, and what signal I do get relies on me positioning
the laptop so that the internal antennae can see through the plastic
windows on the side of the lid.

If you have to run Linux, get an IBM laptop. Yes they're expensive, but
IBM is a Linux advocate (based on physical, financial or legal
momentum, one could say that IBM *is* Linux advocacy ;) and deserves
your support. Don't buy Dell unless you can figure out how to buy the
machine with Linux preinstalled - it may not be the Linux you want and
you may end up reinstalling it, but at least Dell has one less machine
going out the door in support of Microsoft.

Alex