[clug] Learning Python

Rainer Klein rklein at tpg.com.au
Tue Jan 4 03:45:27 GMT 2005

> Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:32:05 +1100
> From: "Steve Walsh" <steve at nerdvana.org.au>
> Subject: [clug] Learning Python
> To: "CLUG List" <linux at lists.samba.org>
>
> Hi Folks
>
> I'm looking at delving into Python for some scripting stuff, as well as
> general coding, and I wondering if anyone can recommend a good book. At the
> moment, I'm looking at either;
>
> Dive into Python - Mark Pilgrim
>
> or
>
> Python Programming for the Absolute beginner - Michael Dawson.
>
> I have some coding experience, but that was back in uni, and I think it
> would be better to approach it from a complete newbie aspect, and see what
> I can dredge up from memory.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, or are will to loan books, that would be
> great.
>

> Regards
>
> Steve.

There are a great variety of resources available for Python. A good starting
point documentation area of its home page:

	http://www.python.org/doc/Intros.html

 or at its Wiki page:

	http://www.python.org/moin/Documentation

or at the beginners section:

	http://www.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide

I know, several of the books are Online available @ www.ibiblio.org.

Myself,  I've approx. ten different books, which you may borrow at any time.

For scripting purposes, there is even a special version called iPython, which
supposedly could be use as a Bash replacement...

Regards,

Rainer

It really comes down to your point of interest.