[clug] [FOR SALE] Well, not really, a REQUEST actually. RAM for Sun SS5

Paul Warren u3292467 at anu.edu.au
Sat Jan 1 05:46:23 GMT 2005

Paul Warren wrote:
> Hi there fellow cluggers,
> hope you had a merry christmas and are looking forward to a happy new
> year :o)
>

> A While ago, I procured a Sun SparcStation 5, and have only now had time
> to try and make it work.  I was going for a Solaris 8 install, just to
> widen my systems admin skills, and will put linux on it eventually, (so
> it can do something useful, like drive my labtam)
> The problem is it needs 64Mb of RAM and I've only got 32.  And it's a
> crazy type of RAM that I don't have any spare sticks of,  It's _almost_
> like pc133, but the slots just don't quite line up.
>
> So, If anyone has some and would be willing to donate/sell (at least)
> 32Mb of this crazy RAM, please contact me off list!

Solved!!! I now have a Sparcstation 5 with 112Mb of RAM running Solaris
8, a Sparcstation 4 with 112Mb of RAM running Solaris 8, and a
Sparcstation 4 with 128MB RAM running debian woody (3.0?)

> Also, if anyone has some exotic (ALPHA, Sparc, R9000, etc...) hardware
> they don't want to store anymore, I'm looking for stuff, I have a little
> bit of money, but not heaps.

i.e. Non x86 ;o) I'd really like an ALPHA 21264, but they aren't selling
anywhere second hand :o(

So thanks to Ian and David.
--
Paul Warren
ANU Supercomputer facility, Access Grid Projects.