[clug] Re: SuSE Live DVD

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Mon Feb 14 10:39:35 GMT 2005

Rodney Peters wrote:
> I have not seen March APC, but the version on Linux Format is the 1.3 GB live
> DVD - not the 5GB + of binaries which comprise the full 32 bit distro.  The
> live DVD is also downloadable and still a useful demo.  A point to watch.
>

> Rod
>
>  On Sunday 13 February 2005 23:00, linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>On 11/02/2005, at 10:09 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>>>For those who may be interested, v9.2 of SuSE is on the DVD (bootable)
>>>which comes with the March issue of APC magazine (now at the
>>>newsagents).
>>>
>>>Hint: If going out to buy it, take out the DVD and have a good look at
>>>it for scratches etc. before buying.
>>
>>For those with Telstra ADSL connections, the DVD ISO is available on
>>http://files.bigpond.com/. The DVD on there is the one off the SuSE FTP
>>site and includes both x86 and x86_64 installers. I've run it up on
>>both architectures and it works well.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Nathan.

The SuSE 9.2 on the  DVD with the March issue of APC is 3.3Gb big and
not the 1.3Gb you mention.

Having said that, the APC version is deficient but I cannot tell how
many of the apps in SuSE official release version have been left out- I
do know that the bits that I am interested in (v4l-tools, tvtime, and
some games) are not there. Of course, one can download the missing bits
from the ftp site but one needs to arm oneself with a list of
dependencies for each app. before trying to download them this way.

After I posted my original msg I had another look at the blurb APC wrote
about the copy of v9.2 on the DVD and concluded that they are either
sloppy in what they say or simply telling a porkie. I quote what is
written on p8 of the mag.:

"The version on this DVD - known as the FTP version - is almost
identical to Novell's commercial package. The only difference is that it
doesn't come with manuals and official Novell support."

Cheers.

--
"The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvellously."