[clug] St George banking only a javascript away

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Mon Feb 7 09:17:15 GMT 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Michael James wrote:

> A while ago internet banking at St George seemed to sputter into life.
> (Using Suse 9.2 Pro Linux, Firefox, Sun Java 1.4.2)

Ah! I've been waiting for this to come up again. I've been using St
George's Internet Banking again for a while now without issue using
Mozilla.

Complet(ish) instructions:
 - create a new profile
 - tap in "about:config" in the location bar
 - right-click on the list of options presented
  - New -> String
 - the name is "general.useragent.override"
 - the value I use is "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Mac_PowerPC)"

That's it. I think all of those instructions were pretty googleable from
recollection - EXCEPT the last bit! Knowing WHAT to lie about being was
the difficult bit to find (at least for my google-senses)

OK, so you're working around a bank's ineptitude. It still works :)

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\
> You are in a maze of twisty semantics. You have: a hammer.
You miss the semantic. \The semantic hits you. \You are permenantly confused.