[clug] Microwave/Wireless - DTV Overload

Neil Pickford neilp at goldweb.com.au
Sat Feb 5 02:30:05 GMT 2005

In these days of receivers with almost no RF components it is easier to
get broadband VHF/UHF tuning by mixing up to a higher IF rather than
building 3 separate front end RF mixing stages for the various bands and
mixing down to a low first IF.  These receivers are usually a double
superhettrodyne and the second IF will be at a more normal frequency.

Analog RF circuits and bits of bent metal cost lots more than integrated
digital processing.  It's all aimed at saving cents in production cost.

Neil Pickford