[clug] debian startup script + madwifi

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Thu Dec 15 22:15:35 GMT 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Benjamin Polkinghorne wrote:

> soft link to it in /etc/rc2.d called S89rc.local.  It only contains my
> these commands don't seem to get run, but the output of dmesg shows the
> wifi0 device getting setup before my realteck nic, is the kernel loading
> Any help or a point to the relevent doco would be great.

What you might want to try instead of a script in your boot process is to
define an interface for this card.

There's a file, /etc/network/interfaces.

You'd be adding an entry something like this:

auto wifi0
iface wifi0 inet static
	pre-up wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc
        address 192.168.5.3
        netmask 255.255.255.0

I /believe/ that the "auto" directives are processed in-order, so if your
eth0 precedes this entry they should come up in your desired order. If
not, you can tell the system to load the modules in a set order by poking
them into /etc/modules

You would also want an entry in your modules.conf, under debian formed by
the "update-modules" command. You'd typically make a file (e.g.
/etc/modutils/<brand of card>) containing

alias ath0 ath_pci

So when the system tries to muck around with a device called ath0 it loads
that module.

Doing things this way has a few advantages - mainly the ability to bring
the interface up and down with the "ifup" and "ifdown" tools.

man interfaces
will give you more information on /etc/network/interfaces
man update-modules
will give you more information on /etc/modutils/

Of course, what you have works, and seems to be sufficient for your needs
:)

> Ben.

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\