[clug] Web services / SOA reference

Richard richard_c at tpg.com.au
Thu Dec 15 12:33:08 GMT 2005

I can offer a brain for picking, but books on the topic are more or less
crap. The prize for the "most often used, most poorly defined" buzzword
goes to "ESB" (Enterprise Service Bus) which means "software suite that
provides SOA infrastructure, and stuff...". In my mind, any ESB that
uses HTTP for its transport mechanism is a pathetic imitation - I'd
expect to see some connectionless messaging in there, but perhaps that's
my Tibco background coming through. Then again, the idea of an
enterprise-wide messaging bus is originally a TIBCO (The Information Bus
COmpany) idea, from about 10-15 years ago.

Web services: SOAP over HTTP. If anyone tries to make it more complex,
they're trying to sell you something.

SOA: Service Oriented Architecture; using defined interfaces for
systems, generally defined by a WSDL file. SOA is the general case of
web services. I'm currently pulling SOAP over JMS together for a client.
The implications for this are very broad if taken as gospel. The
Register's writers suggest that it redefines the way IT and business
interact, and I'd tend to agree with that point of view. SOA is really a
"style" of design. The "art" of SOA is figuring out where your service
boundaries lie, and why. Once you figure out what each service is, then
the rest of the architecture tends to fall into place.

I can go on, and on, and on about this; but I fear that I risk boring
everyone senseless. Technically challenging it is not, and
Linux-specific is its antithesis.

BTW, where's Canberra's IT headed these days? I've been in London for 5
years, and SOA is all the rage, JBoss is doing big business, and Linux
is taking chunks out of everything about it. The ESB vendors are pretty
happy with their goings on, IBM and BEA are still kicking along quite
nicely (BEA's Aqualogic suite is sweet indeed), but my home ground of
Tibco has gone off the boil.

Richard