[clug] strange network behaviour

nic n.cherbuin at anu.edu.au
Fri Dec 9 04:17:07 GMT 2005

Steve Walsh wrote:

>Try a nslookup/dig on the Win2k/linux boxes, and that will tell you if you
>are getting DNS timeouts, blocks or the like.

Yes, I have tried nslookup and it times out on the client machines for
this site but obviously not for others.

>If you are getting timeouts, I would think the problem is with your firewall
>block rules, but check your resolution first, then look at firewall logs to
>see if it's dropping packets.

Why would it be dropping packets for this site but not others given that
there is not specific block for this address?

I have not been able to see blocked packets in the firestarter GUI that
I could associate with the dnslookup but my knowledge is limited so
maybe I did not go about it in the right fashion. How do I know that a
blocked packet is related to my problem?

Is it possible that the dnslookup just takes too much time for this site
with my present settings?

Thanks

Nic

>Steve