[clug] Mythtv pvr hardware requirements

Leigh Purdie intersect at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 06:49:58 GMT 2005

On 12/1/05, Crosskey, Jason (DPS) <Jason.Crosskey at aph.gov.au> wrote:

> I have a HP pentium 550Mhz and want to build it as a multimedia system
> for the lounge room. I am thinking a DVB card can capture without to
> much CPU usage, as it is already in Mpeg2 format. Am I wrong?

If you're talking about a Pentium 3 550, you should be fine, particularly if
you're using a single tuner.

Can someone recommend a DVB-T card, tv out card and linux o/s to use
> with mythtv? I have the Ubuntu 5.10 if that will suffice.

I'd go with the Ultraview DVB-T, as:
a) They're available in Canberra
b) They're reasonably priced (145ish, depending on where you go)
c) Help and support is available locally (ie: give me a yell via email, and
I'll help you set it up ;)
d) They're well supported under linux (dvico compatible).

More info here:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux/2005-November/014556.html

I use ubuntu on the desktop at present, but I'd seriously recommend going
for Fedora Core 4 on the mythtv box - the 'Fedora Mythtv Howto' provides
excellent information/instructions, and following it, will save you many
hours of stuffing around.

For tv-out, go with an nvidia. They're cheap, and they work. GeForce4 MX
440-SE is what I have. Fanless too.

(BTW: If anyone wants an analog tuner with MPEG encode/decode & tv-out
capability, I have a PVR350 available. 90 bucks, and it's yours.)

Regards,

Leigh.

Regards,