[clug] shell stdout and stderr

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Thu Dec 1 05:18:07 GMT 2005

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Tony and Robyn Lewis wrote:

> script (simple redirection), but not if something generates an error
> within the log wrapper, such as being unable to find / execute the
> target script/
>
> Clear?  Good.

OK, this isn't precisely what you wanted, and you've already said that
"exec" isn't for you.

But it's closer, and functions are good :)

You can redirect the output of functions in bash:
----
#!/bin/sh

function dostuff() {
    echo "bob";
    bob
}

dostuff >bill.out 2>bill.err
----

So encapsulating everything in a function call might be an option you
could consider.

> Pointers appreciated.

This things are always interesting. I just spotted the "we treat
/dev/tcp/<host>/<port> specially" bit in the bash redirection stuff. Handy
if you've no netcat.

> Tony

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\