[clug] Recommendations for DynDNS?

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Sat Aug 27 22:29:40 GMT 2005

Paul Warren <u3292467 at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> I also use dyndns.org,  has worked almost perfectly, only problem is
> that it has an update timeout of a month and TPG likes to give me the
> same IP for about 6 weeks at a time, so after a month DYNdns.org
> complains saying it will remove my 'stale' record if it isn't updated soon.

Change to what they call the "Static" host type. It's not really for
static IPs, but for IPs that change less than once a month. Longer TTL
on the zone records to reduce their server load, longer update timeout
to encourage you to use it in preference to the Dynamic host type. Works
great for me (I keep the same IP for as long as I keep the PPP session
up, which has been months in the past). You can transfer any existing
dyndns.org hostname back and forth between Static and Dynamic.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org