*Distributed* Filesystem (was Re: [clug] Clustering Filesystem)

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Aug 24 05:13:05 GMT 2005

On 23 Aug 2005, at 22:39, Paul Wayper wrote:

> At 09:45 PM 23/08/2005, [Michael Cohen] wrote:
>
>> Hi List,
>>   I have recently installed a bunch of machines on my network.
>> Each of
>>   these has a sizable hard disk on it. I am after a clustering
>> network
>>   filesystem that has the following properties:
>>

> I've done a little bit of research into this, but I haven't
> actually played with any of them.  The best developed, as far as I
> can see, is Coda

"Clustering" file system would imply something like GFS (the "Global
File System") which is a file system used by processor clusters,
typically when talking to a SAN.

To spread your file system out between machines that are located away
from each other you want a *distributed* file system.

Note that Coda relies on a "master" server, with clients replicating
changes back and forth. I'm not sure that it's what you want in order
to make use of that extra hard drive space, though it might be
possible to wrangle one machine to be a client of the others and run
some kinda of JBOD in software over the various Coda file systems.

My (admittedly poorly developed) understanding is that a Coda client
will eventually end up with a copy of the entire file system - thus
Coda is a distributed/replicating file system. Samba + smbfs is not
an option, in my experience - smbfs squashes all the ownership and
permissions to be rwx by the user mounting the volume.

I'll be playing with Coda a little over the next few weeks (once I
get these PITA P5GD1 motherboards to work for me), so feel free to
contact me off-list if you want to compare notes.

Alex Satrapa             M: +61 4 0770 5332
grail at goldweb.com.au     W: http://homepage.mac.com/alexsatrapa