[clug] development topic for clug talk?

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Tue Aug 23 01:57:28 GMT 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:20:12PM +1000, Pascal Klein wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Just out of interest, would someone be able to give everyone (or me, if no one
> else is interested) some advice concerning how development happens in the
> GNU/Linux community.
>
> For sometime now I've been trying to get myself 'into the loop', hoping that I
> might be able to either do any necessary graphics for an app, or
> documentation, and to to brutally honest, I didn't come across much info out
> there on how someone might be able to find an area they like, contact the
> people in charge and offer their skills. Go to an app site, and click
> "Participate" and there sadly isn't all that much there. Either it's
> completely bland, or it's complete tech speak which the ordinary user, who
> has different skills might not comprehend.
>
> It could, of course, just be me...
>
> Mhh, my 5 cent rant. :-)

Pick a project (or two) and start lurking on the development lists, or on
IRC if time permits. You won't get "into the loop" overnight. It might take
you 6 months or more to get up to speed, depending on the project.

Heck, it probably took me 4 or 5 years to get to the point where *wanted* to
become a Debian Developer, let alone had the skillset. I realise you just
want to be involved in the graphic design side of things, but if you want to
understand the project, the best way is to do it from the inside.

regards

Andrew