[clug] Linux on Asus P5GD1 motherboard

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Aug 22 02:54:02 GMT 2005

Dear Kees,

Thankyou very much for documenting your experience with this
motherboard. I was having all the problems that you've documented
with getting IDE drives to be recognised by the PITA ITE 8212
interface, Linux 2.6.12 not recognising the gigabit-Ethernet card, etc.

Although it already comes up first link on Google when I searched for
"Asus P5GD1 Linux", I figure another link won't hurt.

If only I'd found your page before the hardware was delivered, I
would have cancelled the order!

To everyone on the CLUG mailing list and other readers:

To anyone who reads this message (especially if you came here from
Google): I would recommend that you avoid this motherboard like the
plague. The Asus P5GD1 is - in my opinion based on my experience - a
heap of stinking poo.

This motherboard has two ATA systems on-board - a single channel IDE
interface, and the ITE 8212 Serial/Parallel-ATA "RAID" interface
("WinRAID" is probably a better description) along with a Marvell
Technologies gigabit Ethernet controller.

Output from lspci includes:
0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6
Family) IDE Controller (rev 03)
0000:01:03.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Integrated Technology
Express, Inc. IT/ITE8212 Dual channel ATA RAID controller (PCI
version seems to be IT8212, embedded seems (rev 13)
0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.:
Unknown device 4362 (rev 15)

I have not yet managed to get the system to provide Linux with access
to a single P-ATA hard drive plugged into the ITE RAID controller -
this is probably understandable. I cannot get more than one device
working on the separate P-ATA interface. Yes, you read that right - I
cannot figure out how to connect devices to the single standalone P-
ATA interface in such a way that I can have a hard drive and a CD-ROM
together in this machine at the same time (that is, I can't get the
BIOS to believe that there are two devices there). Perhaps I should
just ignore the BIOS and see if Linux can detect both devices after
it has booted from whichever device it can see?

Since the machine has a 3Ware Escalade installed, my next mission
will be to get the machine to simply boot off the 3Ware and totally
ignore (as best it can) all the rubbish on the motherboard. At the
same time, I'll be talking to the vendor (Canberra Wholesale
Computers, used to call themselves Cougar) about whether there is
another (non-Asus) motherboard available that will support the
processor, memory and 3Ware card that I already have in these systems.

This motherboard caused me that much grief that I will most likely
avoid Asus products in the future unless the person selling me the
complete system can show it running my operating system of choice.
What was Asus thinking when they released this heap of garbage? I
can't boot off a CD to install an operating system on to a single
hard drive! Surely that would be a basic check in the design phase
before they even committed to mass produce the product? It's enough
to make me want to switch to using a Mac...

Alex Satrapa             M: +61 4 0770 5332
grail at goldweb.com.au     W: http://homepage.mac.com/alexsatrapa