[clug] icmp from 172.31.*.*

Dale Shaw dale.shaw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 09:00:26 GMT 2005

Eyal,

On 8/17/05, Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:
> BTW I only see these IPs
>        172.31.20.24
>        172.31.35.24
>        172.31.35.152
> The bulk are :11 (unreachable).

You're not running some kind of monitoring script that does outbound
traceroutes, are you? If so, you can expect to receive an
icmp/ttl-exceeded (type 11) message back from each hop, including
(potentially) some private address space inside Telstra's network.

I suppose you're also likely to see other control messages from their
infrastructure, e.g. various unreachables (type 3), possibly source
quenches etc. I doubt any of it is significantly contributing towards
your monthly quota. If anyone, your network might run a bit smoother
if you permitted this traffic back into your network (not ALL ICMP,
just the mostly-not-evil stuff).

cheers,
Dale