[clug] August meeting talk

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Mon Aug 15 10:05:33 GMT 2005

Has anyone filled up the August meeting talk spots?

I can offer a few insights into the National Archives' approach to Digital
Preservation if there's any interest. Our three principal pieces of software
are open sourced and hosted on sourceforge. We have recently completed the
design, construction and fitout of a prototype digital repository facility. I
built all the systems in this, so I know the guts of it pretty well.

With the systems hardware pretty stable now, I have been plonked into the
application development sphere where I'm apparently in charge of our
preservation software development.

We use java for cross platformness among other things and OpenOffice is a key
part of the picture.

It's not all Linux, but there's an important Linux facet and it's all open
source.

Is anyone interested?

MC