[clug] mail problem on bigpond

Stephen Rothwell sfr at canb.auug.org.au
Mon Aug 15 00:35:16 GMT 2005

Hi Eyal,

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:22:23 +1000 Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:

> A traceroute to any of the MX addresses surely shows a failure
> to reach. The strange this is that if I relay the mail through
> my ISP (mail-hub.bigpond.net.au) it is all delivered promptly.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what is going on? Did telstra start
> interfering with my mail delivery recently?

Looks like BP has finally decided to do something about all the spammers
(and spambots) that they host by blocking outbound connections to port
25.  Other ISPs have been complaining about them for years and they
regularly turn up on spam block lists.

> And while I am talking, anyone knows how to enter a wildcard rule
> into 'mailertable' that will route all mail to a relay? I have
> rules like this (tip often refuses mail from bigpond users):

Try using "smarthost" (it would help with future questions if you tell us
what you use for an MTA as they all do things differently).

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr at canb.auug.org.au
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/