[clug] forcing a kernel message

Red Phoenix intersect at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 01:09:25 GMT 2005

If you have an alsa-enabled machine, try loading any application that
uses the old oss compatibility layer - eg: firefox, skype,
mixer_applet2. This should generate a message from the alsa module,
something like this:
application firefox-bin uses obsolete OSS audio interface

Alternatively, ifdown eth0 / ifup eth0 will generate some stuff, as
will unplugging/replugging a USB device.

Leigh.