[clug] Drive failure

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Fri Apr 29 13:37:44 GMT 2005

At 10:29 PM 29/04/2005, you wrote:
>Fujitsu hey? I've had several Fujitsu HDDs fail on me. Perhaps not a
>coincidence.

Hmmm - I've just had a Fujitsu 2.5" drive fail on me, but that was because
it slipped from my grasp and dropped one metre to hit concrete.  Next drive
I get I'm wrapping the case in closed cell foam.

I opened the drive up (thinking what the hey, it can't make it not work any
worse) and found the head stuck to the platter.  I forced it off so it's
now swinging freely but I think the head is now permanently damaged.  It
spins up now (it used to just click at me) but nothing happens and it
doesn't register as a drive on USB.

Oh well, time to start grovelling through my file collection finding my
backups...

Have fun,

Paul

SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c)1998-2004 PJW