[clug] How to gain non-root read access to external HD

Pearl Louis pearl.louis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 18:20:06 GMT 2005

Here's the situation.  Fedora 3 automatically detects my external hard
drive.  Yay!  However, it won't give me non-root read access.  I don't
really want write access as it is an ntfs partition and I'd rather not
see my mp3 collection and my data from my PhD work and all the drafts
of my papers and my thesis go up in smoke.  Most of my music
collection is on the external hard drive and I would dearly love to be
able to play said mp3s without logging in as root.  Now, Fedora 3
automatically puts this entry into fstab when I plug in the hard
drive:

/dev/sda1               /media/ieee1394disk     ntfs
pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system
_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0

Obviously it is not a simple matter of changing fstab but doing
something with whatever program is automatically mounting the drive
and writing the lines to fstab when I plug in the hard drive.  Any
ideas?

BTW this is the Maxtor I asked about earlier.  For those who are
curious, it obviously works well with Linux :)

Pearl