[clug] Fonts problem

Dody Suria Wijaya dodysw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 00:17:33 GMT 2005

that's exactly what happened to mine (Notebook, 1024x768, Mandrake10,
Gnome, after following X "uglyness" font fixing somewhere on Internet,
turn on anti-alias).

Someday, I got the chance to borrow an iBook, then compare it side by
side, it seems that the "shady" but anti-aliased font has a striking
resemblance to OS X's. That is, the blackness of the font is more like
dark grey than black. Compare side by side to Windows (esp with
ClearType on), windows font does better job rendering smaller font, and
it's much more sharper and more black than those previous two.

But on windows, this also happen on certain application, esp one that
does its own custom font rendering. Acrobat Reader or Microsoft
ebook/reader.  They define that shadyness as comfortable to read, and I
agree, it is easy to read. But somehow, applying that to the whole GUI,
doesnt. I guess this may be caused by the font size. Shady font is not a
good idea if the font is small.

After a while, it's not so bad. But switching back and forth to Windows,
can't help to notice the aargh shady font.