[clug] Fonts problem additional

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Wed Apr 27 22:48:08 GMT 2005

Pearl Louis <pearl.louis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, I forgot to mention.  If I turn anti-aliasing off it does remove
> the fuzziness but I'm really hoping that someone will have a solution
> that doesn't involve turning off anti-aliasing as it makes everything
> look extremely ugly.

Anti-aliasing means "make the edges fuzzy". That's how it removes jagged
edges (in signal theory, these are called aliases, hence the term
anti-alias for removing or smoothing them). The control panel for your
desktop environment(s) will have a section for controlling in a bit more
detail exactly how the fuzzy edges are made. One of the hints will be
best for LCD screens, I think it's called sub-pixel rendering.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org