[clug] Distros to run on apple

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue Apr 26 09:31:34 GMT 2005

David Collett said:
> I run Ubuntu on a ibook G4 at work.
> Ubuntu is essentially debian so the same things work (or don't work, eg.
> airport). However, I suspect ubuntu may be better tested on apple
> hardware than debian in terms of the installer CD in particular.

I've run up the Ubuntu live-cd on my ageing iMac (not a recent powerbook,
I know). It runs great, and has the usual live-cd benefit of not busting
anything. Worth a shot, I think. The live-cd has the advantage, I believe,
 of using the same hardware detection as the main distro (not 100% on
this, clarification welcome) so, it should be WYSIWYG.

While I'm not exactly an Ubuntu evangelist, after talking with a few of
their developers over a couple of pints, they do seem to have their heads
well attached (in that live-breathe-debian-linux way).

Richard