[clug] partition tables in memory

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphy1.anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 26 00:02:30 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 14:36, Kim Holburn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a linux server which needed more swap.  I added a new swap
> partition wrote the new partition table but it doesn't show up in
> /proc/partitions so I can't mkswap etc.
> # mkswap  /dev/sda8
> /dev/sda8: No such device or address
>
> Is there any way to get the kernel to reread the partition table or do
> I have to do the windows thing and reboot (and lose my uptime;-( )?

I suspect that your problem is not related to the partition table. If
you are running a 2.6 kernel, you are probably running udev.

Udev nukes your /dev tree and rebuilds it on boot. It responds to
hotplug events to create the entries in /dev. If such an event isn't
generated when you modify your partition table you won't get the /dev
entry.

Try manually using mknod to add the relevant block device.

> Dell debian stable kernel 2.4.26 #1 SMP
>
> Kim

Have fun,
Darren