[clug] IBM announcement

Robert Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Mon Apr 25 06:44:22 GMT 2005

> Load up a Power5 box.... Let's see....
> Hmm....
> You could probably run all of DCS using X terminals off the 4-way, and
> still have pretty good performance, although they stopped doing the X
> terminal thing in favour of crappy Intel (And I mean *crappy*, as in,
> Celery.) desktop machines.

That's not really fair. Two out of six labs have 1.7GHz Celerons (2.3 years
old) and the other four labs have 2.6GHz HT P4s. What is so *crappy* about
that? What other Universities in Oz have Linux labs at all, let alone with
that sort of fire-power for students? Do you _really_ think that 120
X-terminal's hanging off of a 4-way Power5 box would give the same per-user
performance as 120 1.7GHz or 2.6GHz CPUs, one per display, each with 256 or
512MB of local RAM and with local disk?

> Of course, students like Peter (I'll leave
> people who know him to realise who I'm talking about.) would still
> complain about using a superior OS to Windows XP.
>
> IIRC, IBM uses less than 10 processors to do all of the processing on
> HIC.  Although that is using zSeries and the requisite OS which I have
> to say does in fact have far better I/O scheduling than Linux, on top of
> other things (such as the zSeries having somewhat more channel bandwidth
> than the pSeries, which I assume is what's being loaned).

I don't think that the HIC box you refer to is supporting all the desktops
on everyone's desk in the HIC.