[clug] Linux Backups: dump vs ...

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Sat Apr 23 15:00:56 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 15:43, Francis Whittle wrote:
> Generally for backups, even on failing (read: seconds from death)
> hardware, I've found tar and gzip/bzip2 (Even on one occasion piping
> directly to mkisofs to cdrecord, back in the days when cdrecord was free
> and I had a real SCSI burner) to be most reliable and effective.

apt-get update && apt-get install ddrescue && zless /usr/share/doc/ddrescue/README.dd_rescue.gz

If that disk is on the way out (aren't they all?) I think you'll find that dd_rescue is NOW your friend.

Or so Ted Ts'o said at LCA. Ted also reminded us that regular backups can be useful. Then he suggested that having a backup may help and that your daily backup might help. And do lots of backups. "Did I mention backups?" Back up.

MC