[clug] Address Phishing (was Compaq Deskpro)

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Thu Apr 21 12:37:27 GMT 2005

At 10:23 AM 20/04/2005, you wrote:
>Is this an attempt to reap valid email addresses??
>
>I was trying to figure it out...  Only makes sense if the REPLY address
>is actually active - which is not what you'd expect.  Hmmmmmm
>
>Is it an account they've compromised and are monitoring for this
>purpose?

Not quite sure how you worked out that this wasn't a valid reply address,
or that it might somehow be invalid.  I think you're attributing to malice
that which is caused by ... inexperience.

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 09:48, brownt1 wrote:
> > Did you ever find the Compaq disk? I need it also and I would greatly
> > appreciate it if you can help any way.

Generally, I think this person will eventually learn that help on the
internet is on a get-what-you-give basis.  You ask a barely intelligible
question, you get a pedantically accurate but useless answer - in this
case, no (I didn't find the Compaq disk.  I didn't know it was lost.)  If
you're not prepared to put a bit of effort in, you get no effort out.

Alas, since they're not on the list they won't hear my sage musings.  I get
to bore the rest of you with them instead :-(

Have fun,

Paul

SigClean 1.5a prevents all errors in transcription, transmission, and
reception of eMail, destroys sig and email viruses, and stops flames.
Report all bugs to the author. SigClean is FreeWare. (c)1998-2004 PJW