[clug] partition tables in memory

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Sat Apr 16 07:11:53 GMT 2005

You could try making a call to the ioctl facility provided by the kernel
re-read the partition table.
Be careful and make sure no filesystem or other process is mounted on,
accessing or
going to use anything on the device in the meantime (code below won't
check.)

********BIG ARSE DISCLAIMER*****
I'm not a kernel or C programmer. I can't remember where I got this code
from, but it's in a closed case marked "reloading partition tables", so if
this doesn't work, and b0rks your box, I'm sorry, I'll buy you a beer to cry
into, but that's as far as willing to wave various parts of the anatomy in
the direction of liability I will go.
********End Big Arse Disclaimer********

/* Assume this source file is named reread.c and you use GCC as your
   C compiler...  commands:

    Replace /dev/hdb below with the proper device
    gcc -o reread reread.c
   ./reread
*/
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <linux/fs.h>
#include <fcntl.h>

#define DEVICE_NODE "/dev/hdb"

int main()
{
   int fd;

   sync (); /* Sync disks */

   if ((fd = open(DEVICE_NODE, O_RDONLY)) < 0) { perror("open");
           close(fd); return 0; }
   if (ioctl(fd, BLKRRPART) < 0)
           perror("unable to reload table");
   close(fd);