[clug] partition tables in memory

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at nicta.com.au
Sat Apr 16 04:36:56 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have a linux server which needed more swap.  I added a new swap
partition wrote the new partition table but it doesn't show up in
/proc/partitions so I can't mkswap etc.
# mkswap  /dev/sda8
/dev/sda8: No such device or address

Is there any way to get the kernel to reread the partition table or do
I have to do the windows thing and reboot (and lose my uptime;-( )?

Dell debian stable kernel 2.4.26 #1 SMP

Kim
--
Kim Holburn
Network Manager,  National ICT Australia Ltd.

Use ISO 8601 dates [YYYY-MM-DD]
http://www.saqqara.demon.co.uk/datefmt.htm
                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961