[clug] A New Users perspective on Linux

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Sat Apr 16 00:08:01 GMT 2005

Hi Andrew,

Not trying to start any wars or anything but I feel that giving advice
about not really needing to protect yourself because it is Linux is
dangerous cause it can lead to a state of complacency.  I personally
feel that you can't be too carefully when connected to the Internet or
if you have Wireless running.  Yes you are right that Linux is not as
susceptible as MS Windows is, but it is still prone to hacking.  I also
agree with you sound advice about running only those services that you need.

Whatever OS your running you need to do more than just rely on the OS to
protect you.  Granted there are not many (if any) viruses written for
Linux) bu there are still tonnes of root kits that work if you are not
protected properly.

The simple fact however is that nothing beats a separate firewall that
blocks everything coming in except for any special ports that you must
have open.  I have had a Linux box hacked that I though that I bolted
down tightly but before I had a firewall.  Since the firewall I have had
allot less problems.

Cheers,
Simon.