[clug] Firewall distros - recommendations

Rodney Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Wed Apr 13 01:34:32 GMT 2005

You are correct that Smoothwall 1.0 has not been supported for some time.  It
used the now superceded ipchains.

I've used Smoothwall 2.0 and IPCop 1.4.x with ADSL.  It's swings &
roundabouts, but if you are using ISA NIC, then only Smoothwall will work.  A
member of another LUG tells me not to go beyond 1.4.2 with IPCop as all the
later patches are broken.

Either should work on a 486, but need a minimum HDD of about 504 MB.  64 MB
RAM will be heaps.

An ADSL modem having ethernet interface is definitely the way to go.  Although
Smoothwall & IPCop have support for many USB devices, it is only in PPPoA
mode - which many ISP do not support.  Mine does not - consequently I can't
say whether USB support in Smoothwall & IPCop is at all useful.

Rod