[clug] Ubuntu Disruptor

George Bray listoid1 at linkalarm.com
Tue Apr 12 14:54:42 GMT 2005

Sounds like a Klingon weapon. But no, I'm really trying to find some
professional comments on Ubuntu Linux <http://www.ubuntulinux.org/>.

As someone who has tried a few distros with the aim of getting a
usable, reliable GUI and a "dummy's" way of installing and upgrading
apps (anyone for MacOS X?), I'm thinking Ubuntu is a remarkable step
forward for the intel crowd.

Not only for me mucking about with FOSS, but also for the mums and dads
who are completely sick of the state of their Wintel box. By my
reckoning, the fact that Ubuntu can be up and running (without
command-line intervention, automatically configuring for old/new
hardware) in about 30 minutes is a grand opportunity for linux in
general.

What do you think? A flash in the pan? Just another fork? The next
intel-based platform?

	geo